Bulletproof® Decaffeinated Coffee Beans
The after 2pm coffee. Save your sleep. Upgraded™ Decaf Coffee is a pleasure and biohacking beverage brewed from the same artisan-roasted, high performance Central American coffee beans as our caffeinated Bulletproof Coffee. Each happy cup of Bulletproof Decaf delivers huge flavour depth, the lowest possible toxin content, and extreme mental benefits, just like caffeinated Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee. Nitrogen flushed packaging seals in freshness.
Both Science & Consumers Point at Decaf’s Benefits
- Decaf coffee is warming, comforting and it’s intense flavours invigorate
- Mental boost from decaf on memory & on brain energy metabolism
- Decaf loses none of the antioxidants of caffeinated Upgraded™ Coffee
- Typical serving of decaf contains more antioxidants than a typical serving of blueberries, raspberries, oranges or grape juice
- Decaf coffee helps the brain make more efficient use of glucose, that may result in improved memory function
- May help slow age-associated cognitive decline
- Women drinking 1-5 cups of decaf or caffeinated coffee daily reduced their risk of death from all causes by 15 – 19% in one 14 year study
- It's not the caffeine, it's the coffee. Harvard research is showing benefits for everything from depression to liver disease. It's not the caffeine it's the coffee.
Ordinary Decaf vs. Bulletproof® Decaf
Supermarket decaf coffees, as well as many boutique decafs, are routinely made from less desirable Robusta beans which contain high levels of natural bitter compounds associated with increased cholesterol.
These low-grade beans are moistened during the normal decaffeination process and may then remain unroasted for months, giving moulds opportunity to form mycotoxins that contaminate normal decaf coffee.
Another problem is the frequent use of toxic chemicals in the normal decaffeination process.
Bulletproof® Upgraded™ Decaf Coffee is made of high-end Arabica beans and processed with Swiss Water process. Then these premium decaffeinated beans are roasted as quickly as possible in order to minimise any contamination with mycotoxins.
The Bulletproof® Coffee Decaffeination Process
- Our Upgraded™ Arabica beans are first cleaned and pre-soaked in pure water to hydrate the beans.
- We create Green Coffee Extract (GCE), minus the caffeine, from premium Arabica coffee beans by simple water extraction.
- Our green Upgraded™ Coffee beans are then placed in the GCE which is saturated with ALL the desirable coffee molecules, minus the caffeine.
- The concentration level and the stability of the soluble coffee components in the GCE is maintained at equilibrium with the green coffee beans – critical to our process.
- We carefully monitor time, temperature, and flow, and optimise the high pressure caffeine specific driving force between the bean and the GCE. The result is a net extractive process in which only caffeine is removed by osmosis, leaving the coffee’s unique “origin flavour” characteristics intact.
- This process is repeated for 8 – 10 hours, until the coffee beans are 99.9% caffeine free. Close monitoring of this process is critical to Bulletproof specification.
- After our Upgraded™ Coffee beans are decaffeinated, they are removed from the holding tanks, dried, bagged, tagged, and ready to be roasted.
- The Bulletproof decaffeination process stipulates a markedly narrow interval between the decaffeination process and the Bulletproof roasting process.
Swiss Water Process is Green
Our Swiss Water process received several certifications from the green movement. No chemicals and no waste! Most important to coffee drinkers, Swiss Water process yields a deep, flavourful tasting coffee that is naturally invigorating.
Bulletproof Coffee Beans are Rainforest Alliance Certified
The Swiss Water® Process is certified organic by the Organic Crop Improvement Association, the world’s largest organic certification agency, in accordance with standards developed by the USDA National Organic Program. The decaffeination facility itself must conform to the OCIA’s rigorous standards. The organic integrity of our operation ensures organic coffee beans are decaffeinated using the Swiss Water® Process maintain their organic certification. Rainforest Alliance Certification
We decaffeinate coffee that is Rainforest Alliance Certified. This guides and rewards continual improvements on farms, linking sustainable farm management with coffee quality – connecting responsible producers and traders with innovative companies and better markets. The seal ensures that forests, rivers, soils and wildlife are conserved and that workers and their families are respected, paid decent wages, and have access to education and medical care.
Easier to Improve Carbohydrate Metabolism
Research studies conclude that people who drink coffee on a regular basis have a significant lower risk of Type 2 Diabetes. This effect is independent of caffeine content but is dependent on the amount of coffee consumed. Many published studies show that people who drink 4-6 cups of coffee daily are at 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes than people who drink two or fewer cups per day. Upgraded™ Decaf Coffee makes this level of consumption both more attractive & easier!
Coffee is the number one source of antioxidants for Australians (Bulletproof Dieters are an exception). The antioxidant molecules in decaf coffee are numerous, and even caffeine is an antioxidant. Roasting increases the antioxidant content of the beans and we carefully control our roasting process to maximize antioxidant content as well as minimize any mycotoxin contamination. Upgraded™ Decaf Coffee delivers a bottomless cup of benefits.
Upgraded™ Decaf Coffee Is Not Just Coffee
- It is carefully produced and tested with our proprietary process to target the lowest toxin content vs. normal coffee, so you get all the benefits of coffee without the negative side effects.
- The beans are harvested from family-owned estates in Central America at high altitude, where the best coffee grows.
- The estates are Passive Organic and the families that own them do not allow chemicals (herbicides, pesticides, etc.) It is not economical for Central American boutique coffee estates to become certified organic.
- They are hand-picked by experienced coffee harvesters – skilled people who know how to pick only perfectly ripe berries.
- Most coffee beans are processed by either leaving them in the sun and elements to wither and spoil as they dry, or by pressing them and letting them ferment (spoil) to remove the outer layer of the bean. Both of these techniques are known to produce significant levels of mycotoxins as they enhance flavour. Upgraded™ Coffee beans are processed immediately after picking using a process that avoids any chance of fermentation. This more expensive process is safer because it dramatically reduces harmful moulds or bacteria.
- The beans are roasted in small batches by the #1 ranked roaster in United States under the strictest conditions. Roasting the beans enhances their antioxidant capacity and flavour to provide you with a tastier cup of coffee.